Full Details for the Ink Academy Creative Writing Course and One-Off Consultation
1. The Ink Academy Creative Writing Course
In summary, the base package for the Ink Academy Creative Writing Course is 9 meetings arranged flexibly over 6 months, covering up to 43,000 words in total. In detail, this involves:
- 1 initial submission:
- We require an initial submission of 1,000-3,000 words before you can enrol on the course. This is so that we can check that we are the right people to help you write your book. It can be any sample of your writing – either a random sample of the work you want help with or an initial stab at what you hope will be your book.
- 1 introductory meeting:
- One hour.
- At this meeting you will discuss with your tutor where you are in the writing process, where you want to be, what you want to achieve over the course and how it can be best structured to suit you, your book and your availability. This session is one-to-one and face-to-face (see why we think face-to-face is important here). If the initial submission is an example of the work you will want to be developing during the course, you may also discuss it in the introductory meeting. We recommend linking the introductory meeting to the first tutorial session so that you can begin the course straight away.
- 8 tutorial submissions:
- You should provide up to 5,000 words by email for each tutorial session. Your tutor will read and edit your work in preparation for discussing it with you at the tutorial session. Submissions must be sent up to 48 hours before the tutorial session. If for any reason you are unable to provide any writing in this time, your tutor will provide a writing exercise and tutorial tailored to your requirements, to be covered during your tutorial session.
- 8 tutorial sessions:
- One hour per tutorial.
- During the sessions you will discuss your latest submission, as above. The sessions are one-to-one and face-to-face (*with the option for video conference). Sessions will be arranged up to 7 days in advance, at a time convenient to you and depending on your tutor’s availability, and during our opening hours (Tuesday-Friday 9am-7pm, Saturday 11am-3pm). The maximum time between sessions is 3 weeks.
- 6 months
- The maximum time between the introductory meeting and the final (eighth) tutorial session is 6 months.
- 1 complimentary tea/coffee during all face-to-face meetings.
All students enrolled on the Writing Course must understand and agree to adhere to our Terms and Conditions.
2. The Ink Academy One-Off Consultation
The Ink Academy One-Off Consultation is a one-hour introductory session purchased separately from the full Ink Academy Creative Writing Course.
- 1 written submission:
- We require an initial submission of 1,000-3,000 words before you can book a One-Off Consultation. This should be the sample of your writing that you would like to discuss during the session, and will help us place you with the right tutor.
- 1 introductory meeting:
- One hour.
- At this meeting you will discuss with your tutor your initial submission as well as where you are in the writing process and where you want to be, if relevant. This session is one-to-one; we recommend that it should be carried out face-to-face, but it is able to be carried out by video call if necessary (see why we think face-to-face is important here). The tutor will advise you on how best to set yourself up for continuing writing without Ink Academy guidance following the session.
There is no obligation or expectation that a One-Off Consultation will lead you to sign up to a full course; the one-off introductory session is just that – one-off – and the tutor will discuss your submission and advise you on how you can continue writing on your own.
If you do decide to sign up to a full course following a One-Off Consultation, you are able to “upgrade” to the full course, whereby the One-Off Consultation would count as your introductory session. Your full course will therefore include 8 tutorial sessions and cover up to 40,000 words (up to 5,000 words per tutorial), and would cost the price of a full course less the price of the One-Off Consultation.
All students enrolled on a One-Off Consultation must understand and agree to adhere to our Terms and Conditions.