Full Details for the Ink Academy Creative Writing Course, One-Off Consultation, Group Workshops and Author Masterclasses
1. The Ink Academy Creative Writing Course
In summary, the base package for the Ink Academy Creative Writing Course is 9 meetings arranged flexibly over 6 months, covering up to 43,000 words in total. In detail, this involves:
- 1 initial submission:
- We require an initial submission of 1,000-3,000 words before you can enrol on the course. This is so that we can check that we are the right people to help you write your book. It can be any sample of your writing – either a random sample of the work you want help with or an initial stab at what you hope will be your book.
- 1 introductory meeting:
- One hour.
- At this meeting you will discuss with your tutor where you are in the writing process, where you want to be, what you want to achieve over the course and how it can be best structured to suit you, your book and your availability. This session is one-to-one and face-to-face (see why we think face-to-face is important here). If the initial submission is an example of the work you will want to be developing during the course, you may also discuss it in the introductory meeting. We recommend linking the introductory meeting to the first tutorial session so that you can begin the course straight away.
- 8 tutorial submissions:
- You should provide up to 5,000 words by email for each tutorial session. Your tutor will read and edit your work in preparation for discussing it with you at the tutorial session. Submissions must be sent up to 48 hours before the tutorial session. If for any reason you are unable to provide any writing in this time, your tutor will provide a writing exercise and tutorial tailored to your requirements, to be covered during your tutorial session.
- 8 tutorial sessions:
- One hour per tutorial.
- During the sessions you will discuss your latest submission, as above. The sessions are one-to-one and face-to-face (*with the option for video conference). Sessions will be arranged up to 7 days in advance, at a time convenient to you and depending on your tutor’s availability, and during our opening hours (Tuesday-Friday 9am-7pm, Saturday 11am-3pm). The maximum time between sessions is 3 weeks.
- 6 months
- The maximum time between the introductory meeting and the final (eighth) tutorial session is 6 months.
- 1 complimentary tea/coffee during all face-to-face meetings.
All students enrolled on the Writing Course must understand and agree to adhere to our Terms and Conditions.
2. The Ink Academy One-Off Consultation
The Ink Academy One-Off Consultation is a one-hour introductory session purchased separately from the full Ink Academy Creative Writing Course.
- 1 initial submission:
- We require an initial submission of 1,000-3,000 words before you can book a One-Off Consultation. This should be the sample of your writing that you would like to discuss during the session.
- 1 introductory meeting:
- One hour.
- At this meeting you will discuss with your tutor your initial submission as well as where you are in the writing process and where you want to be, if relevant. This session is one-to-one; we recommend that it should be carried out face-to-face, but it is able to be carried out by video call if necessary (see why we think face-to-face is important here). The tutor will advise you on how best to set yourself up for continuing writing without Ink Academy guidance following the session.
There is no obligation or expectation that a One-Off Consultation will lead you to sign up to a full course; the one-off introductory session is just that – one-off – and the tutor will discuss your submission and advise you on how you can continue writing on your own.
If you do decide to sign up to a full course following a One-Off Consultation, we are unable to offer a discount off the full course. However, you will be able to replace the full course’s introductory session with a tutorial session. Your full course will therefore include 9 tutorial sessions and cover up to 45,000 words (up to 5,000 words per tutorial).
All students enrolled on a One-Off Consultation must understand and agree to adhere to our Terms and Conditions.
3. The Ink Academy Group Workshops
To attend a Group Workshop, you must apply to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)845 139 9311. They take place on Saturdays; the exact dates of upcoming Group Workshops will be given to you once you are signed up to the full course. Places are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no limit on the number of Group Workshops you can apply to during your enrolment on the Ink Academy Writing Course but please note that if you attend more than one, you will not necessarily encounter the same attendees as before.
Group Workshops are only available to those enrolled on the Ink Academy Writing Course.
Each Group Workshop includes:
- 3-4 attendees
- 1 submission of up to 3,000 words per workshop
- Submitted a week in advance.
- All submissions will be shared with every attendee of the specific workshop. For a workshop to benefit everyone involved, all attendees must have read and thought about – and be prepared to give considered feedback on – the other attendees’ work in advance of the workshop.
- 2 hours
- Group Workshops take place on Saturdays between 11am and 1pm at LIBRARY in Covent Garden.
All students enrolled on a Group Workshop must understand and agree to adhere to our Terms and Conditions.
4. The Ink Academy Author Masterclasses
To attend an Author Masterclass, please sign up here.
Intimate and interactive, the Author Masterclasses provide the opportunity to learn practical elements of the craft of writing and benefit from the perspective of a published author. Each Masterclass will focus on a particular theme – memoir, say, or characterisation, or plot – but also on the author’s personal experience: what they find most challenging, most helpful and most rewarding about their career. You can expect to take part in engaging discussion in an unpressured environment. You will come away equipped with practical tools to apply to your own writing – and a real insight into the process of finding an agent, and getting published.
You may have the opportunity to discuss specific examples of your own work, but please note that there will not necessarily be an opportunity to do so. The exact format of the class will depend on the author leading it.
Places on the Author Masterclasses are open to the general public as well as those enrolled on the Ink Academy Writing Course, and are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Each Author Masterclass includes:
- 6-10 attendees
- 2 hours
- All Author Masterclasses will be held at LIBRARY in Covent Garden.
All students enrolled on an Author Masterclass must understand and agree to adhere to our Terms and Conditions.